Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tuesday Pick-me-up

Confession: We all need a little pick-me-up now and again.

It's an unfortunate fact that until I've had my morning coffee, I'm kind of worthless. The truth is, every now and again we can use a little pick-me-up; something to inspire a fresh outlook on life. As I walked into our bathroom a few weeks ago, I realized the room could use a little morning coffee... some fresh inspiration.

I knew my bathroom inspiration wouldn't be as inexpensive as my morning coffee, but I didn't want the project to break the bank either. So, I thought about what decorations we had in our house that weren't being used to their full potential, and set a $50 budget for the remaining items.

Before: The room was fairly plain, and lacking warmth and a concrete theme.

 
After: With just a bit of staging and a new color scheme, our bathroom is warm and inviting.

 

 

I repurposed the shelving unit from a guest bedroom, the flowers and vase from the basement, and finally found a home for a set of sconces we received as a wedding gift. I purchased the storage baskets for $25, the valance for $10 and the accent towels for $16. I also did splurge on the matching waste basket ($15) for a total $16 over budget, but it was worth spending a little extra!

The project must have ignited a little inspiration spark, as I decided to also add a few cozy details to our kitchen - details and pictures to come!

These were simple projects that were thought of and carried out within a week, but sometimes simple projects are all a modern "housewife" has time for. The kitchen is the first room our house visitors see, and one of my top priorities is to (try to) maintain a clean bathroom. Now our guests can admire our homey decor upon arrival and while visiting the powder room, dunny, john, water closet or (my personal favorite) urination station. Ever looked up all the nicknames for a restroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment