Thursday, September 22, 2011

Exercise: More For Your Mile

We all know exercise is important, but sometimes it's just hard to stay on track. A good way to stay motivated is to have someone or something hold you accountable for sticking with your routine. Many people have successfully created healthy lifestyles subscribing to big name diet and exercise programs, but if you're not careful those programs can significantly trim your wallet's waistline, too.

Spark People offers weight loss, exercise and even water consumption planning 100% free of charge. You can utilize the calorie counter, workout tracker, exercise demos and advice from dietitians and trainers to reach your lifestyle goals. The web site also features thousands of healthy recipes and offers the option to connect with a support team for additional accountability. Did I mention it's free?

The real secret is just to find what works for you. I recently started my own little exercise program that I have named "More For Your Mile." As an advertising consultant, I am on the road a lot and can be reimbursed up to 50 cents per mile traveled. So, I decided to start reimbursing myself 50 cents for every mile I exercise. Right now I walk one mile on the treadmill and one mile on the elliptical machine for a total of two miles per day. If I stick with that routine five days a week that gives me about $20 a month to spend on myself. It's not a ton of money, but enough to treat myself to a new shirt, pair of earrings or cheeseburger in lieu of a low-calorie frozen dinner. And, $20 a month is still less of an investment than most of those big name programs.

Regular exercise is important to promote metabolism and fight off heart disease, diabetes, cancer and even Alzheimer's. It's a bit of a challenge to get myself to the gym, but I always feel better about my overall health and well being after a workout. For simple ideas about how to live a more active lifestyle, visit  www.do-groove.com.

2 comments:

  1. Great incentive for working out! I just don't have the time, literally...unless chasing after small children counts as working out? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tip: If your workout routine involves activities like Zumba or step aerobics, or even chasing after small children : ) (Randi) try wearing a pedometer while exercising. You might be surprised how many miles you travel in just a five foot area!

    ReplyDelete